Sunday, October 19, 2008

Believe It Or Not, We Pulled It Off.........





SURPRISE!

Kimmy Turns 30

Posted By Ger

Kim is pretty much impossible to surprise, she is very nosy and she can see right through me. But Susie called me a few weeks ago and hinted that she wanted to throw a surprise party for Kim so we decided to give it a shot. The stage was set by telling Kim that George and Sue wanted to take us out to dinner on Friday. When, in reality we were going to go over to their house on Friday night for the big surprise. I was feeling pretty confident up until a few days before the party when Kim picked up Paige Breinholt to take her to dance with the girls. Kim asked Paige if she was excited to go up to the Cabin this weekend with her family. She responded, "Ya, but we might not go."

"Why Not?" Kim Asked.

"Because my Mom doesn't want to miss your birthday party." Paige replied.

So when I arrived home Kim said, "What are you planning?" I casually responded to her the same way I do when she asks where I hid some odd piece of cookware the last time I unloaded the diswasher. I said, "What are you talking about?" She then related the experience she had with Paige and I quickly sluffed it off by telling her that I had invited the Breinholts to go to Kim's birthday dinner with us on Friday and that they felt horrible about missing it. Bullet dodged.

There were a couple of other "close calls" during the week that I won't go into details on. Suffice it to say I'm very grateful that Kim and I have an open and honest relationship because living a lie is a lot of work. In an effort to pull this party off I think I lied to Kim more in the last two weeks then I have in the last eight and a half years of our marriage.

The party was a blast. Thanks to everyone that came and made it so special. Lots of decorations, gifts, food, great company etc. It started as a party and ended up as a giant scorpion hunt, but that is a different story. I'm particularly grateful to Susie and George for conceiving the idea and hosting the party. Kim had fun and I plan to make this a tradition. We'll do a surprise party for her every 30 years - next one is scheduled for October 20th 2038, you're all invited!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Good job Ger!! It was so much fun. At least Spencer only had to keep my party a secret for a few days. That would have been so hard. Thanks for the fun night!!

Monica said...

I'm impressed with your skills! We had such a great time! Happy Birthday Kim, I'm in for lunch! Sounds fun!

Angie said...

Yeah for turing 30! I'm glad I'm not alone! Happy, Happy Birthday. Great job, Ger. I'm happy you had such a great surprise party Kim. I was thinking about you. Happy Birthday!

Angie said...

Been wanting to wish you a happy birthday all day. Sounds like it was a great one and well deserved. Good job Ger! You are such an awesome mom and person. Thanks for the helpful hints for the carmel apples, we are doing them tomorrow and I can't wait. Love ya,

Auntie Angie (that sounds really old).