Saturday, February 5, 2011

Rainbow Smoothie...

Ok, lame name but it has fruits and vegetables that are all colors of the rainbow! Talk about healthy! I did the green drink for a while... chocolate banana protein smoothies... fruit smoothies... then back to cereal because smoothies were too cold. :-) Now this is my latest favorite and I think it's going to be around for a while... so I thought I would share. I LOVE that you get practically all your fruits and veggies in the morning- so many amazingly good for you vitamins, fibers, anti-oxidants, etc. Gives you energy and builds your immunity. You can change it up by switching out what you add everyday... using whatever you've got. It is so yummy I crave it. Had one for lunch today!
I don't have an exact recipe but I will list out what I add below... First add all your veggies and fruits. LOVE my vitamix. I have had it a year now and it has been the best purchase ever- use it multiple times a day. My kids love smoothies too so I try and make them before school a few times a week and even after school for them.
Then I add protein powder and water- no juice is used... so really it's super low-cal. This shake is big enough for Ger and I. I have been sending him off to work with a disposable cup of this and he loves it too.
Blend it up super good! Don't you love that I use a plate instead of the real lid- so lazy!

And it always turns out a purplish color... Yum! Mia is a fan too- loves them... but the other kids have seen the spinach go in there and haven't wanted to try it yet!

Rainbow Smoothie
Serves 2
Base:
  • 2 oranges (peeled thrown in whole)
  • 1/2 cucumber (peeled- gives it a super fresh taste!)
  • 1/2-1 cup frozen blueberries
  • handful of frozen strawberries
  • huge handful of spinach
  • 1-2 scoops vanilla protein powder
  • 1/2 dropper of Stevia (Optional)
  • Water (I have no idea! Start out with 1 cup.)
Then I add in whatever else I want to mix up the taste... or you can leave it as is!
  • Apple
  • Celery
  • Carrots
  • Kale
  • Frozen Mixed Berries (from Costco instead of Blueberries/Strawberries)
  • Banana
  • Chobani yogurt
(If you don't have a powerful blender this probably won't work... The vitamix makes a totally creamy smoothie with no grainy/chunks even when I add carrots, apples, etc.)

I would love your smoothie recipes if you have a good one!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Wow! I've never tried putting spinach or cucumbers in a smoothie. Interesting. I did talk to a friend last week who uses kale but I think kale tastes nasty! Spinach might be ok though, I'll have to try it! Maybe it would make my kids healthier . . .

Mindy Janis said...

That's a great smoothie! I've had my Vita Mix for about 4 years now and it is my most used kitchen tool. It's great to drink your veggie's. If you don't want to use protein powder you can add 1/3 cup of soaked raw almonds. This also adds protein but you keep it all raw.

doovie79 said...

Good for you! I need a Vita Mix. Our 10-year-old blender has about had enough...I will have to try your recipe. My kids rebelled the last time I tried to add spinach to a smoothie...Love you guys!!
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Yum . . . looks good. Yes, LOVE my VitaMix. HANDS DOWN my favorite small kitchen appliance!