Friday, January 21, 2011

Sweet and Sour...

Wow- I was shocked last night when all the kiddos LOVED the Sweet and Sour Pork recipe I made. I usually just fix their rice with butter and cheese and had re-heated some Grilled BBQ chicken for them... but they wanted what we were having! Syd didn't like the veggies, but Colby and Mia loved the peppers and carrots and onions. YAY! This recipe is a fav from my Aunt Geri. Love her. Super fun, funny, talented lady that is so great to be around.
It's a relatively healthy stirfry and easy to make- the hardest part is chopping up all the veggies and meat.... which doesn't take long at all really. You can use chicken or pork- I had a pork tenderloin in my fridge from Costco (usually make Cafe Rio Pork with it...) but it was amazingly flavorful in this recipe too.
These pics are from my phone so not great but you get the idea- YUMMY! Give it a try!
Sweet and Sour Chicken/Pork
2 TBS Vegetable Oil
15 oz. boneless, skinless chicken
1 C thinly sliced carrots
1 cup peppers, cut in strips (can do 1/2 red and 1/2 green if you have both)
1/2 onion, cut in strips (Optional)
1 cup pineapple chunks
2 TBS brown sugar
2 tsp ginger
4 cloves garlic (use the bottled fresh minced garlic- so much easier! In produce section...)
1/2 C pineapple juice
6 TBS white vinegar
4 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS cornstarch
2-3 cups cooked rice

Cube or slice meat and brown in vegetable oil. Remove from pan. Cook veggies for 5-10 minutes. Combine sauce ingredients in bowl- brown sugar, ginger, garlic, pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Add meat back to pan with pineapple and sauce. Simmer until sauce is thick, just a minute or two. Serve over rice!

2 comments:

doovie79 said...

Yum! I used to make this recipe with chicken, but haven't for a while. I will have to try it again now that you have activated my salivary glands! Love you guys!
Jenny

Tami said...

This recipe was YUMMY! Thanks for sharing. Just FYI at Fry's, in their meat section they have peppers & onions already cut up for fajitas that worked great for only $4. It saved a ton of time!