Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Make your Pancakes with some Pizazz!

OK, not really pizazz, but just a little more exciting than plain boring pancakes! Our fav pancake mix is Aunt Jemima's Whole Wheat Blend. I can only find them at Wal-Mart these days, but they are sooo yummy. The back of the box has suggestions of add-ins that we have loved. Add these to your next batch of pancakes! (1 cup mix/1 cup milk + other ingredients is base)


Chunky Pecan (yes, my kids like nuts!)
Add 1/4 cup chopped pecans


Blueberry
1/4 cup fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) blueberries


Cinnamon and Brown Sugar (my kiddos favorite!)
Add 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 2 TBS brown sugar


Apples and Cinnamon
Add 1/4 cup applesauce and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

You can also make shapes with pancake molds, cut pancakes out with cookie cutters to be fun shapes or even spell out their name, make your pancakes different colors with food coloring (green for St. Patricks day!), or even add food coloring to a small amount and put it in a syringe to make designs or happy faces on the pancake with. (I did a whole post on this so just search "pancake.") So make your next breakfast yummy and exciting- surprise your kiddos instead of serving up the same old! They'll love it.

5 comments:

Jenna said...

My Father-in-law puts apple cider mix in his and its way yummy!

doovie79 said...

Wow--I am lucky to get pancakes cooked, let alone get that fancy in taste and presentation! Looks yummy!
Love Jen

michelle said...

Yum! :)

Heidi Buchi said...

I love the fun family activity ideas that you post, it gets my brain a crankin and gets me doin fun things too! We try and do a breakfast for dinner at least once a week so I will have to use this idea for one of them to make the pancakies a little more exciting!

Maren and Dustin said...

Pancakes are one of my very favorite foods. I love to put pured sweet potatoes in them (it's the only way I can get Carson to eat something orange sometimes!)