Sunday, March 29, 2009

Looking for a Sunday Dessert Idea?!?

WOW. This is one of my favorite desserts ever. Seriously. I LOVE my Dad's hot fudge- I am such a ice cream sundae with nuts kind of girl and have tried a lot of hot fudge and his beats out Cheesecake Factory & Macaroni Grill! He has tried to give me his "recipe" before but it never turns out the way it does when he makes it. (Dad, you really need to sell this stuff- people would be instantly addicted!) In any case, I listed the recipe he kind of follows below, along with the recipe for Cream Puffs! (Can you see it sandwiching all that goodness?!?) A yummy versatile treat that you can serve up with ice cream or pudding. Sprinkle with powder sugar or top with hot fudge... Your kiddos and hubby will love you for making them!

Grandma Hallows Heavenly Hot Fudge
1 cube butter
½ tsp salt
3 c sugar
4 oz. Bitter chocolate or ½ c cocoa
1 can evaporated milk

Melt butter on low. Add chocolate and stir until smooth. Add sugar and salt. Add milk slowly while whisking mixture. Continue to whisk until smooth. Cook on low, stirring until it boils. If lumpy, blend in blender.
(Dad uses less sugar and less cocoa I believe and whips it with a wire whisk the entire time- it is quite the process! If I get any further clarifications I will post them.)
Cream Puffs
Prep: 30 min
Cool: 10 min
Bake: 30 min
Oven 400
Makes 12 cream puffs
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup all purpose flour
4 eggs
3 cups whipped cream, pudding, or ice cream.
Powdered Sugar (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan combine water, butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well with wooden spoon after each addition.
2. Drop 12 heaping tablespoons of dough onto a greased bakign sheet. Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Transer cream puffs to a wire rack, cool.
3. Cut tops from puffs, remove soft dough from inside. Fill with whipped cream or ice cream. Replace tops. If desired sift powdered sugar over tops.

No comments: