Yes, you can make jam in the winter... without fresh berries! I should have posted on my Costco post about how yummy their frozen berries are, because this is what I use to make jam probably 50% of the time. Thanks to Lorell Morell! (She's in my ward and yes that is her real name- she showed me how to do it with the frozen berries.) The berries are sweet and delicious and perfectly ripe and it's actually easier than fresh fruit because you don't have to wash them and dry them, hull the strawberries, etc. Just take the berries out of the freezer the night before you jam and they'll be perfectly defrosted the next day.
You just follow the Freezer jam recipe EXACTLY! I'm taking, get out your knife and scrape it across the top of the measuring cup every time you measure, time everything out just right, and it will be perfectly set up jam. We are addicted- my kiddos are jam snobs because they won't even try jam if it's not homemade! This is the mixed berry- 1 1/2 cups strawberries and 1 3/4 cups mixed berries. We were totally out so I'm so glad to have some just in time for Thanksgiving!
You just follow the Freezer jam recipe EXACTLY! I'm taking, get out your knife and scrape it across the top of the measuring cup every time you measure, time everything out just right, and it will be perfectly set up jam. We are addicted- my kiddos are jam snobs because they won't even try jam if it's not homemade! This is the mixed berry- 1 1/2 cups strawberries and 1 3/4 cups mixed berries. We were totally out so I'm so glad to have some just in time for Thanksgiving!
1 comment:
I am so happy to read this post! I LOVE homemade jam, and we are out. I have never thought about using frozen berries. I know what I am going to do tomorrow! :) Thanks Kim!
Post a Comment