Sunday, March 28, 2010

Easter Rice Krispy Treats



We went out for breakfast at Wildflower and they had these adorable bunny rice krispy treats. Only $3 each. WOAH! Colby REALLY wanted one but I told him we could make them much yummier and cuter (and cheaper). So we came home and did just that!
1- Measure 12 cups Rice Krispies in a big bowl
2- Melt 6 TBS butter in a pan (teaching Colby safety at the stove!)
3- Measure 8 cups mini marshmellows
4- Melt marshmellows in melted butter. Then pour mixture over Rice Krispies and mix!
5- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
6- Spray your hands with cooking spray and push marshmellow/Rice Krispy mixture evenly on pan.
*NOTE: I doubled this recipe for a cookie sheet. Half this recipe if using a 9x13 pan.

Then let cool. (We went on a bike ride!) Then use cookie cutters to cut out fun shapes. You may need to spray the cutters first with PAM.


Then bust out the candy melts!

I have these on hand because they are so fun to use for lots of projects in the kitchen. We have every color from orange to green to Spring pastels! You can even buy them at Walmart.

I just melt them in plastic baggies in the microwave- a handful of melts goes a long way. Put the baggie in for 20-30 second intervals, pulling out each time to mush chocolates together. Clip a very small corner of the baggie after competely melted. The kids were great helping with this since it took a little while to do about 10 colors!
Then let the kids create! My kids LOVE being creative and they spent at least an hour making their own fun Rice Krispy Easter Treats! I couldn't believe their focus and concentration- even Colby took his very seriously... but had so much fun with all the colors of chocolate and m&m's and sprinkles!

Some of my creations...

Mia's creations...

Sydney's creations...

Some of Colby's creations! Wow!

If you aren't up for making a mess, send your kiddos to make some treats online! They pick out the shape of Rice Krispy treats and then get to decorate them with all sorts of colors and sprinkles and shapes! http://www.ricekrispies.com/games/shape-decorator.aspx

4 comments:

Kylee said...

Who knew rice krispies could be so cute! How do you do the funnest things even when you are so pregnant!?! Wow! I think you need to take lessons from your kiddos though... there's look wwwaaayyy better than yours :) I love how you have pictures of everything they do - that will mean so much to them (and to you) in the future!

How are you doing? I'd love to see more pictures of how little Allie is growing :) Only a couple more weeks right?

doovie79 said...

Impressive! Tell the kiddos we love their creations! Very cute.
Luv ya!
Jenny

Melissa said...

Those turned out so cute!! I want them! I can't wait til Evie can bake with me! The kids look so darn cute, it just makes me miss them, Colby is looking so much older and older these days! Definitely not the baby anymore :-)

Angie said...

Cute treats! You are such a fun Mom. Do you hire out?