Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What's in Your Kids Lunch!?!

I love eating lunch with the kiddos at school. One day when I was there I sat by Mia's little friend Cason and he had a fun little post-it note from his Mom in his lunch. I said, "Wow! That is so fun that your mom would write you a note. Does she do that very often?" And he said, "Yup, every day!" And knowing his mom Ashlee I believe it! Sadly enough this is something I just don't do enough... once a week is about how often I do it so I am trying to improve.

I came across these printable notes for kiddos lunch and thought it was a great concept! Anything to make their lunch more exciting and let them know that I love them and am thinking of them...
http://www.alphamom.com/holiday/2009/08/free_printable_lunchbox_notes.php

These circle printouts can be punched out with a giant circle punch and then if you have a Xyron they make AWESOME stickers by putting any paper shapes through it. I LOVE the idea of attaching them with a rubber band- they will stay put!
These simple notes below are from http://www.twigandthistle.com/blog/2009/09/diy-freebie-lunch-notes/
http://freshpickedwhimsy.typepad.com/fresh_picked_whimsy/2009/02/love-notes.html
To make it fun you can add knock knock or regular jokes... What kid doesn't love a good laugh to share with her friends at lunch?!? Here are a few for starters...

  • Why was the car embarassed?.....It had gas!
  • What city do sharks come from?....Shark-ago!
  • What do good students eat their burgers on?....Honor rolls!
  • How can you keep cool at the ballpark?....Sit by a fan!
  • Why did the shark spit the clown out?...He tasted funny!
Here are a few good websites for kids jokes... Syd and Mia LOVE emailing jokes to their cousins, aunts, and uncles!
http://kids.yahoo.com/jokes
http://www.justriddlesandmore.com/kidsriddles.html
http://kidjokes.informationresourcenetwork.com/index.php

A few more ideas for lunchbox notes:
  • write a silly little poem like: Roses are red, violets are blue, when you come home, i'll have a special snack for you!
  • surprise your kid by having Dad, sibling, or grandparent write the message every once in a while
  • tuck a few m&m's or skittles inside a folded note
  • Let them know how many days are left until...their birthday, Christmas, summer break, etc...
  • fold the note like you did in jr. high or high school...don't remember how?...ask a teenager!
  • write in code...(ok, this one may take a little more prep time, but work it out and supply the code with the message)
So my new goal- a note at least 3 times a week! I will work my way up to every day. ;-)

Next subject: what do you do to spice up your kiddos lunch!?! I take them to the store and let them pick new things for their lunches which they love... and they love "homemade" lunchables with crackers, cheese squares, and pepperoni... but I am getting bored of making the same old and would love some fresh new ideas!

2 comments:

doovie79 said...

SO cute! Will you do this post again when Sammy starts first grade?! I put notes in David's lunch every now and then, or on his lunch sack, but need to do this more often! I always loved it when mom sent a squeeze-it or something we didn't usually get...
Remember how much we loved Uncle McKay's Moon Pies? Ha, ha fun memories!
Love Jenny

Melissa said...

Ashley would do that!! That's too cute. I loved getting notes from mom, what cute things to spice lunch up, thanks for all the sites, I'll have to save em till Evie's in school!! Love ya!