Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Scorpian Hunters

If you've ever been to AZ to visit us... you've probably been scorpian hunting with us... So fun. For those who haven't or those faint of heart... don't look at the pics below. BAH! Ugly! Scary!
Gross! Ok, so here's how scorpian hunting goes- we get our LED flashlight- it is an ultra violet light that makes scorpians glow in the dark! See pics below. Scorpians are night creatures so it's usually pitch black when we go- we shine the light along the bricks around our house and when we see a scorpian we either torch it or cut it in half with an old grill spatula (like Colby is carrying!). Sounds pretty nasty huh! I thought it was at first and got all creeped out but now it's a great time and we are just happier to kill them outside then find them in our house! I only torch them- you have to be fast because these guys can really fly.
Oh- I should mention one other option NOT to use... Chris and Lissy were out here and we were on our little hunt and our lighter ran out. We still were finding a lot so Chris picked up a brick to use- "Great idea!" I thought. Well not so great because the first scorpian he smashed splattered literally ALL OVER ME! My mouth was open and I started screaming and they shined the flashlight on me and I was had splotched glowing scorpian guts all across my neck and chest! Luckily I had a tank underneath because as I was freaking out I tore my shirt off right then and there. AND washed myself and my mouth out like 100 times. So note to self: Don't use bricks to scorpian hunt. Effective but messy. ;-) And just for the record- three of the five of us have been stung by scorpians now so we really aren't too scared. It's just like a super bad bee sting. I was stung in TX at Ry and Lena's house, Colby was stung on his foot in his bathroom, and Mia was stung at George and Susie's. We have this special ointment now that is seriously magical in taking away the burning and itching and pain- so if you are around here and ever need it... Come on over! On this particular hunt we found and killed between 10 and 15 scorpians. NASTY. But it's been a while since we have seen one in our house so for that we can be grateful... Who's in for the next scorpian hunt?!?




No comments: