Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mmm... Homemade Oreos!

Yummy! This is a family favorite that is fun to make with kiddos, on a group date (right Chris and Abby!), or to make a lot of to take to a party. During the holidays you can make these and switch out the white frosting for a colorful frosting appropriate for the holiday... Halloween is coming up so orange frosting would be super cute on these. Maybe they are a favorite of yours too!
Homemade Oreo Cookies
2 boxes of Devils Food cake mix
1 1/2 c. shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs

Frosting
8 oz. cream cheese
1 cube margarine or butter
5 cups powdered sugar (I always end up adding more since I use reduced fat cream cheese)
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together and then roll into small balls. (I use a TBS to measure out dough- you want pretty small balls. Then Sydney and Mia roll it into nice balls- as seen in pic above- and put it on the pan.) Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes- but don't overcook. (I can tell mine are done when they are crackled on the top and don't look "wet." Cool and then frost. Spinkle with powedered sugar if you want! (You can frost them like a cookie or pipe them for a "cleaner inside frosting" look! You can see how I piped mine above.

We just made about 115 oreo cookies for the Primary today (230 cookies in all since each oreo has 2 cookies- thank heavens for double ovens!). We had our Program and since I'm the chorister I had "bribed" them. They sang AMAZING! In fact when I arrived at church the Primary President's main concern about the program was, "Kim, what are you going to do if they really sing TOO loud?!?" I thought that was funny. Let me know if anyone has any other fun ideas of things to do with Oreos!

1 comment:

Heather McMullin said...

You taught me how to make these when we lived together....ahhh the memories! I still make these!!! Love them!