Even if you don't do protein powder or smoothies, just think about what you are putting into your body every day. It's got me thinking and feeding myself and my kiddos and hubby a little different. Fruits and veggies have so many great nutrients and vitamins and great health benefits, especially when you compare them to processed foods with lots of calories and carbs. It makes such a big difference in my energy level and how my body feels when I am splurging on sugar cereals compared to eating healthy fruits and veggies etc. I totally agree that all things should be consumed in moderation and ice cream still has it's place over here, but just isn't a staple anymore... ha ha! ;-)
I thought I would share my two favorite recipes for protein smoothies so here they are! Please pass along any yummy and healthy smoothie recipes or any yummy and healthy recipes for that matter! (ALSO- you can throw in a handful of spinach to either recipe- it adds lots of vitamins and fiber which will keep you full longer. It doesn't change the flavor at all!)
Chocolate Banana
Chocolate Banana 1/2 cup Skim milk (Ger does 1 cup and doesn't add the water)
1/2 cup water
1 banana
2 scoops chocolate protein powder (EAS from Costco)
Big handful (or two!) of ice
Blend it all up and enjoy!
Protein: 30 grams
Calories: Bananas- 85 Milk- 45 Protein Powder- 140 =270
This is usually what Ger and I eat for breakfast after our workouts. It is filling and SOO yummy. Some days I just crave it. I can have it for a week straight and not get sick of it, but that's just me.
Bananas have Vitamin C, potassium and dietary fiber and because of the three natural sugars they contain- sucrose, fructose and glucose- bananas give an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Studies have shown that drinking milk after exercising helps burn fat and aids in muscle growth. Milk has nine essential nutrients and does your body good! ha ha!
Berry Yogurt Protein Smoothie
1 Light Activia yogurt (Peach, Blueberry, or strawberry is yummiest)
1/2 cup pineapple juice (or whatever juice!)
1/2 cup water
1 scoop Show me the Whey Vanilla Protein (from Sprouts)
Handful frozen berries (blueberries and strawberries are what I usually have on hand!)
Handful of ice
1/2 cup water
1 banana
2 scoops chocolate protein powder (EAS from Costco)
Big handful (or two!) of ice
Blend it all up and enjoy!
Protein: 30 grams
Calories: Bananas- 85 Milk- 45 Protein Powder- 140 =270
This is usually what Ger and I eat for breakfast after our workouts. It is filling and SOO yummy. Some days I just crave it. I can have it for a week straight and not get sick of it, but that's just me.
Bananas have Vitamin C, potassium and dietary fiber and because of the three natural sugars they contain- sucrose, fructose and glucose- bananas give an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Studies have shown that drinking milk after exercising helps burn fat and aids in muscle growth. Milk has nine essential nutrients and does your body good! ha ha!
Berry Yogurt Protein Smoothie
1 Light Activia yogurt (Peach, Blueberry, or strawberry is yummiest)
1/2 cup pineapple juice (or whatever juice!)
1/2 cup water
1 scoop Show me the Whey Vanilla Protein (from Sprouts)
Handful frozen berries (blueberries and strawberries are what I usually have on hand!)
Handful of ice
Blend together well and enjoy.
Protein: 24
Calories: Yogurt- 70 Pineapple juice 65 Whey vanilla Protein 80 berries 80= 295
Blueberries are a superfood- low in calories, contain disease fighting antioxidants, are high fiber and packed with nutrients and vitamins, including vitamin c. Activia yogurt has probiotics and can help regulate your digestive system- it has protein, fiber, and calcium...
(I also love the green drink idea (veggies with fruit juice smoothies/drinks) and got a "coupon" for mother's day from my sweet hubby to buy a vita-mix when they come to Costco next month so we'll see if I make the splurge!)
3 comments:
Bo loves his protein powder with his workouts or even when he has been out in the yard all day, I love these ideas to mix it up a little more! Thanks Kim!
Yay! You will love the vita-mix. Totally buy it! We got one after we got married and I use it at least once a day. It makes the best smoothies, soups, sauces, salad dressings, and lots of yummy healthy things like almond milk and hummus and stuff. My Mom is the queen of the vita-mix and uses it for like everything! It's a lot of fun.
okay soooo i totally couldn't agree more. i love smoothies and eating healthy.. It really gives you energy for the day and you feel better about yourself too. thanks for the smoothie recipes i am def going to be trying them. your blog is sooo dang cute as always and i love it. we miss you and your family and i know sean is missing basketball. As for me im doing alright without it..haha dont tell him that tho. hope you family is doing well. xoxo
Post a Comment